I recommend to you Chapter 3 of Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, by Pastor Douglas Wilson. Below are a few points that stand out to me.
Read the chapter carefully. It is rich and a bit challenging; yet full of truth. And may God grant us the vision, knowledge, and steadfastness to raise a generation of children who desire to obey, honor, and serve the One True God.
As always, Trinitas make valuable reading resources like this available to our parents both in the school library and office.
- “All the instruction received by the children should be permeated with God’s Word. (Deuteronomy 6:4-9).” Our children, our families, should be living in a distinctly Christian paideia.
- “We are commanded to love the Lord our God with all our minds (Matthew 22:37)." We must strive to provide an education, in and outside the formal classroom; in our homes, churches, community centers, sports fields, etc., that is centered on teaching and training the mind to love God and His Word.
- “The sins of fathers are visited to the third and fourth generations, but the righteousness of fathers is visited to thousands of generations .” (Deuteronomy 5: 8-10) Fathers, your decisions, choices and actions matter; be faithful and do the next right thing.
- “Not only are parents responsible to oversee the Biblical teaching of their children, they are also responsible to see that their children don’t receive false teaching.” (Hebrews 13:9)
- “Parents should see the work of the Christian school as a supplement to their own teaching, enabling the parents to be more effective in their time with their children.” (Ephesians 6:4) Christian schools are to assist parents in the teaching and training of their children, not to replace them.