I recommend to you Chapter 3 of Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, by Pastor Douglas Wilson. Below are a few important points.
- “All the instruction received by the children should be permeated with God’s Word. (Deuteronomy 6:4-9).” Our children, our families, should be living in a distinctly Christian paideia.
- “We are commanded to love the Lord our God with all our minds (Matthew 22:37)." We must strive to provide an education, in and outside the formal classroom; in our homes, churches, community centers, sports fields, etc., that is centered on teaching and training the mind to love God and His Word.
- “The sins of fathers are visited to the third and fourth generations, but the righteousness of fathers is visited to thousands of generations .” (Deuteronomy 5: 8-10) Fathers, your decisions, choices and actions matter; be faithful and do the next right thing.
- “Not only are parents responsible to oversee the Biblical teaching of their children, they are also responsible to see that their children don’t receive false teaching.” (Hebrews 13:9)
- “Parents should see the work of the Christian school as a supplement to their own teaching, enabling the parents to be more effective in their time with their children.” (Ephesians 6:4) Christian schools are to assist parents in the teaching and training of their children, not to replace them.
Read the chapter carefully. It is rich and a bit challenging; yet full of truth. And may God grant us the vision, knowledge, and steadfastness to raise a generation of
children who desire to obey, honor, and serve the One True God.
Soli Deo Gloria,